Saturday, March 29, 2014

Unleashing your inner Norma Desmond

I hope that at some point in your youth, someone came along and told you how incredibly important it was to wear SPF. Now granted, I’m a white girl with super pasty skin that burns and freckles up and I can only speak from my experience … but I feel that I’m on firm ground saying that SPF can only help in the long run. I use a mild cleanser (Cetaphil is a good basic), a decent moisturizer (Aveeno’s “positively Radiant” with SPF), extra SPF in the summer and a BB cream when I’m trying to look presentable – these are basics I never skimp on.

Of course after a hard winter or when my skin is looking especially rough, I have to bring out the big guns. If any sun makes it past my sunscreen or if acne (did you know you can still get acne at my age? Seriously, it’s totally not fair) leaves me looking red or uneven, I use Clinique’s Dark Spot Corrector. For under-eye-circles (again, I seem to blessed with all sorts of issues), I like Miracle Skin Transformer "Treat & Conceal Eye & Face” – it’s pricy but worth every penny in terms of not leaving your sensitive eye area dried out. If you have the budget for another pricy beauty buy, I’d like to suggest my favorite exfoliator, Sweep by Laboratoire Remède – it’s grains are super fine for a thorough but gentle exfoliating experience. If you are looking to save a few pennies but still want to do something nice for your face, how about perennial drugstore favorite Queen Helene’s Mint Julep Masque … just a few bucks, lasts forever and leaves your skin supple and refreshed without irritation.

But you wanted the full-on Norma Desmond treatment didn’t you? Ridiculous pampering, glorious promises of gleaming radiant skin and sweet scents to tempt your frilly heart. The Mint Julep masque works, but it’s a little drab and unexciting isn’t it? Then lets get on to the fun part of this post, the sheet masks from My Beauty Diary and My Scheming.

 photo 003_zps143b7558.jpg

Look at these damn things, any Lolita worth her bloomers would just buy these because of how awesome they look. Chocolate truffles, Bulgarian White Rose, Tea and Macarons? I was sold.

The first mask I tried was My Beauty Diary’s Bulgarian White Rose Mask. It’s literally a paper mask saturated in slimy liquid – you peel off the backing and just smooth it over your face and leave it on for 20-30 minutes. I felt silly after about 10 minutes so I took it off and just let the remainder sink into my skin. It smelled great and my skin did feel refreshed and very hydrated and soft. The Earl Grey Tea & Macaron mask was exactly the same, it only smelled different (like tea). The Crystal C Brightening Eye Mask from My Scheming (odd name, but apparently that is what it’s called) was really unusual. I unpacked what looked like small, clear, gel insoles, peeled them off the packaging and stuck them under my eyes. While the masks were really effective I wasn’t as impressed with the eye treatments … or maybe I was just unnerved by how much they felt like sticking wet fruit roll-ups onto my face?

 photo 014_zps38e2013b.jpg

Anyway, the masks are highly recommended for a nice skin treat and they actually work beautifully. Plus they are freakin’ adorable and smell so good, they’ll have you asking Mr. DeMille for that close-up ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment